Better Brackets Support

Hi,

Nova is lagging some essential feature regarding handling/parsing weird bracket situations required by some frameworks/templates.

Here are the issues:

1. Support for Multiple Characters
  • There is no way for us to define multiple bracket characters. Nova is somehow is restricted to one.
  • bracket and surrounding
  • One example is from this post on the forum
  • Multiple Characters Bracket
  • This is very common across alot of frameworks and templating engines, I am working on Blade myself currently that uses {{ x }} or {!! x !!}
  • If I do the following, the syntax is not picked up by Nova (prior to Nova 11 it used to give messed up colouring but now it is not even recognised as a bracket)
    <brackets>
            <pair open="{{" close="}}" />
    </brackets>
    <surrounding-pairs>
            <pair open="{{" close="}}" />
     </surrounding-pairs>
  1. Support for Autoclose
  • Once the brackets are defined in the Syntaxes/lang.xml, they do not autoclose, I think Nova should support this first party without us having to use hacks like tree-sitter autoclose.
  • Not Autoclosing
  1. Highlight.scm and Rainbow Bracket Conflict
  • I was trying to do some workarounds that I come across the fact that if I have the “rainbow bracket” on, the highlight.scm won’t work. I think Nova should give priority to the highlight.scm instead of the “rainbow bracket” so that we can override if needed
  • Here is an example photo

Thanks
Emran

1 Like

Since this is a duplicate of the bug report mentioned itself, I am closing this topic in favor of it.