[Bug Report] License is only displayed during development, but not for published extensions

It might be handy to allow specification of a markdown file that contains our own license. Currently the license tab is a bit empty with only “MIT” in my case. Would love to display the full license there. Alternatively, perhaps the extension library could auto-detect a “LICENSE” file, as that is what GitHub tends to create when you choose a license on a new repo?

Or did I miss that there already is a way to do this? Thanks! :slight_smile:

**Update: ** I’m switching this from a help inquiry to a bug report. It appears that a LICENSE.md file will display properly when developing an extension using Activate Project as Extension. However, it will not display once published. Could it be that the publication process is not bundling the license file?

2 Likes

perhaps the extension library could auto-detect a “LICENSE” file, as that is what GitHub tends to create when you choose a license on a new repo?

Nova already does that: just add a LICENSE.md file to the root of your .novaextension bundle and it will be displayed on the license tab of the library (or as a section in the online library).

1 Like

@kopischke I tried that and it still only displayed “MIT” for me. I’ll give it another shot.

Hmm, odd, it works for me (for instance, with my µESLint extension – online library entry here). Make sure the file is in the root of your extension bundle; it might also be necessary for it to have an extension …

It ended up working after all :slight_smile: I think the problem was that when testing my extension locally, it kept refreshing because I was writing to files in the extension root for my listing, which didn’t give the license tab enough time to load.

@kopischke Well, it looks like it only works locally. In the extensions browser it only displays “MIT”. I’m switching this post over to a bug report with an update on the OP.

Ha, I just checked my two extensions (installed from the library, not locally), and while one of them does display its license in the in-app browser, the other doesn’t. The difference? The one that does display the license file has no “license” entry in extension.json (seems I forgot to set that key when I wrote the extension). Apparently. adding the key stops Nova from picking up the license file in-app (online is fine for both). Very much a bug, good catch!

Ah! So that’s why I can’t see the text of my license(s), either. But I remember that at some point in the remote past (possibly even during the beta testing, I can’t remember), this used to work.

This is a great catch. We’ll try and get this fixed for the next release.

3 Likes

Bump! This still doesn’t work :wink: