Local only extension installation

Is there a way to permanently install an extension locally without using the public extension library? I’ve written an extension to help with some work related tasks and it doesn’t really belong in the public extension Library.

As far as I can tell, the only option is to keep the extension project open at all times and manually activate the project as an extension each time nova starts.

Thanks!

1 Like

It is possible, although it’s a bit hacky.

What you can do is install it into the same place as Nova puts downloaded extensions, and then add it to the list of extensions it knows about.

Download the extension and create a symbolic link to it (using ln -s) to ~/Library/Application\ Support/Nova/Extensions/<identifier> where <identifier> is the identifier in the extension.json. Something like edwardloveall.MyCoolExtension. Then, open the Extensions.plist file inside that folder and add a new entry that contains the same identifier. You’ll see them all in there. Copy and paste one of the blocks and change the identifier. Restart Nova and you should see it.

I’m assuming a developer/code savvy audience here, but if it’s not clear how to do those steps, let me know and I’ll do my best to answer.

I think it’s much simpler than that, I do this with my “nova-doofer” extension. You just need to double click the Name.novaextension in Finder and Nova will ask you if you want to install the extension.

Oh, yeah, that’s a much easier way to do it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! Both of those are helpful in different ways!

1 Like