Symbol Iconography improvement

Continuing the discussion from Symbol enum-member doesn't have an icon:

Hi small UX/UI feature request. I wished Nova had a better iconography for the symbols. Majority are missing icons, and alot of them share the same icons.

Apart from a handful like property, method , function variable, package etc some of them are hard to even recognise what they mean, for example the $ for code blocks/statements.

I am personally a visual person so I would love to see more icons like the package

Thanks
Emran .

3 Likes

Can you add a screenshot to show your example?

Hi,

I will list a few here:

1. so static-method and method both use the same symbol M:
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 00.40.13
  2. Enum-number doesn’t have an icon
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 00.41.55
  3. Expression, code block and statement all have $ as icon, tbh this one raises my eyebrow, I am not even sure why $ was chosen?
    Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 00.43.08
  4. “file”, “keyword” and “reference” have no icon (like number two above)
  5. When I first started Nova It took me along time to also understand what K meant. Until I finally realised it represented constant.

I think it would be very nice to have the icons listed with their meanings in Nova help page as well for the users, VSCode has a documentation page allocated to symbols and the icons. At the moment they are tucked away deep inside dev docs, plus even then there is no accompanying icon, so unless you are an extension developer you would not know which is which.

I also think it would be a good idea to decouple the icons and have a nice set of icons we could use for autocompletion purposes only. I understand some of these symbol names are there solely for symbolication purposes, so not necessarily needing a proper icons.

Thank you. I agree with this.